Wednesday, September 13, 2006

A New Way to Paint Gold

I've struggled a lot with how to paint gold. Since my sons have a lot of gold parts and they'll tend to attract attention (Oooh shiny objects...) I've really thought about this.

Usually, the GW tutorials say to paint with shining gold, then shade with flesh wash and highlight with progressive layers of Shining Gold mixed with Mithriel Silver. I tried this and hated the way it looked.

I was looking through the 2005 complete catalogue this weekend and I came across a gold formula meant for Tomb Kings. It goes something like this:
Base of 3:1 mix of Vermin Brown and Shining Gold
Vermin Brown wash
Highlight of 1:1 mix of Vermin Brown and Shining Gold
Highlight of Shining Gold

From what the pictures looked like this is a more subdued gold. Obviously, real gold can't be tarnished, but if it could be, that's kinda what it looks like. Think of gold with a layer of dust.

I tested this mix last night and it looked pretty good.

Now I have to figure how to paint those Horrors!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home