Friday, January 27, 2006

Plugging along...

Well, my five minute a day routine has been working pretty well. The only thing I have to do now is drill out the barrels on my bolters. Then I'll be ready to prime.

But before I go into that, let me say this. One decision I had to make when I started this project was whether or not to glue on the bolters before I painted them. With my Space Wolves, I glued on the bolters before I primed and painted them with the rest of the model. This made it a little difficult to paint in the details on the chest. If you've ever painted Space Wolves, you know how much more detailed their chest plates are than normal marines. This time around, I decided to paint the bolters separately. Thousand Sons also have detailed chest plates, so I want to make sure I didn't have to paint around a bolter to get to them.

It's a little difficult to glue the model together w/out the bolter, though. When I put together my Space Wolves, I glued the bolter to the trigger, or right, hand hand and let it dry. Then I glued on the left hand. Everything fit together pretty well. It took me a while to figure out how to put the model together in a different way. If you're not careful, the two hands don't line up and the bolter ends up crooked. The best way I figured out is to glue on the right hand, let it dry, hold the bolter in place, and then glue the left arm on while holding the bolter in place on the other arm. We'll see how this all came out when I glue the bolters in place (which won't be for some time).

Allow me to rant now. It's not hard to drill gun barrels out. It drives me nuts when people don't drill out their gun barrels. Yesterday, I was looking at some guy's miniature gallery. He was a pretty decent painter, but none of his barrels we're drilled out! It just ruined the look of his army.

Wow, I feel a little stupid about getting worked up about something so minor.

Anyway, I'll be at Dungeon Games in Alsip on Saturday night. I'll be playing my Space Wolves, though.

1 Comments:

At 6:21 AM, Blogger Chris said...

How did you do at the Dungeon? I got whupped by dwarves on wednesday but the previous week I went to work on the Empire. I'm told that at 2000 points VC really hits its apex. That will be tested withing a few weeks

 

Post a Comment

<< Home