Friday, January 05, 2007

Long Awaited Pictures



Here I have some long absent pictures of my first squad. So far, I've completely finished the highlighting on the blue and have the fist layer of gold down. I also have the first layer of what will be the yellow parts (the helmets, some shoulder pads) and brown parts (tabards).



The miniature in the middle of above photo is still my favorite pose. You can see the "yellow" stripes on the helmet a little better in this picture. It's actually Snake Bite Leather (A Citadel Brown). On top of that I'm going to paint a thin layer of Bubonic Brown in that. The final highlight will be Sunburst Yellow. It think this will create a more subtle, golden yellow.





I've certainly learned a lot about using my digital camera since I bought it. Still I think these pictures came out a little dark. In this final picture you can see the first layer of brown (again, Snake Bite Leather). I'm going try to use a lot of thin layers to build up to almost white. I've never tried blending like this before, so I'm excited to see how it turns out.

Also, you might notice one of the minis in the back is missing it's right arm. This wasn't an accident.

When I had first built these figures, I had given that one two "blank" chaos shoulder pads. Chaos shoulder pads, unlike their loyalist marine counterparts, come in pairs of one with detail (like a chaos star) and one blank for a chapter badge. I didn't realized that there were only enough "blank" pads to give each marine only one.

OK, so that part was an accident.

A while back, I bought some archive Thousand Sons shoulder pads. I wanted these for my sorcerer conversions, but also wanted to use them to represent icons in my squads. Unfortunately, I decided this kinda late in the process, so I had to yank this mini's arm off to replace the pad. I just started painting the new shoulder pad, so I'll glue that on soon.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

At 12:44 AM, Blogger JPL said...

Hi Scott-
These look excellent!!, I just recently started up my own 1000 pt SM army myself. I am old time chicago gamer relatively new to 40K, my old gaming peeps moved on years ago so I don't get to play much but I am into the modeling. Anyway stumbled onto your Blog from the AWC site looking to see how the local scene was. Kudos, and good luck those look really good!

 
At 12:13 PM, Blogger Scott said...

Thank you so much. I really appreciate the input.

Good luck with your Space Marines.

What's your nmae at AWC? I'll keep an eye out for your posts.

 
At 1:36 PM, Blogger JPL said...

Im signed up as old_coast, but I'm really just a lurker over at AWC, if I start playing I'll get more involved. let me ask you, Do you play anywhere here in the city? or is it dive out to pick up games out in Downers Grove if you want something consistent? good luck getting those sons on the table! If life lets me I'm planning on having 500 pts and a 4x4 table ready to go in about 2-3 weeks.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home